[KS] Re: Religious Intolerance

Jacqueline Pak JP10 at soas.ac.uk
Fri Aug 14 08:30:38 EDT 1998

Dear Cappy and others,

If I may say a few words, still, about this topic:

1. While we well recognize the fundamentalist tendency of
Koreans, whether as Confucians, Christians, or communists,
what factors can be attributed to this?  Of course, we can mention
various determinisms such as the size of the country, geography, or
certain cultural traits but that seems too facile.  I feel that
it is the particularly utopian yearning of hanful Koreans that is
possibly related.

2. While I am well aware of the extent of problems, including
incessant factionalism and narrow-mindedness, of Korean-
American Christian community, they have been, perhaps, too
harshly criticized as simply "disappointing".  As a Korean-American
Christian, I am very proud of their accomplishments as well.  Not
only they have made immense contributions to the nationalist
movement, but more recently, Korean-American Christians are also at
the forefront of assisting and improving relations with North
Koreans.

For example, the establishment of Yanbian University of Science and
Technology and Rajin University of Science and Technology was
achieved by Korean-American Christians.  Due to the highly sensitive
and difficult nature of negotiations with North Koreans, including
with Kim Jong-il by over 100 visits to North Korea, the involved
Christian leaders were not open about their ventures.  But now you
can see for yourselves: http://www.yrf.net

3. With decline of funding for Korean Studies due to economic
crisis in East Asia, the Korean-American community, especially the
Christian organizational network, may also increasingly become the
most important supporters of Korean Studies abroad.

Thank you,
Jacqueline Pak