[KS] Re: .Re: first message

David McCann dmccann at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Dec 16 21:00:07 EST 1998

E Sônsaeng*:  I take your points about command economy and inefficient
agricultural policies.  Here are some additions, if you will...

How long has the (free) trade zone been "in operation," and what does it
mean to have an international free trade zone if US trade restrictions
continue to apply?  Or is there some significant easing of them with regard
to Najin-Sonbong?

And to go back a point or two: my observations about US sanctions and
refusals to make good on agreed-upon obligations were not intended to
explain away all the problems being experienced north of the 38th parallel,
but as a comment on your suggestion that simply because the government
("regime") of north Korea blaims US trade sanctions for the economic
difficulties, it cannot be the case that they, the sanctions, actually have
any impact.  To rephrase my point, simply because the North Korean
government says something repeatedly does not mean that it isn't true.  One
could say something similar, though in reverse, about the repeated US
assertions that we are the biggest guarantor of food aid to North Korea in
the world.  A month ago, for example, some fellow on Talk of the Nation
made that assertion.  He did not, of course, talk at all about deliveries,
because of course there would have been nothing to talk about.

David McCann

*Still don't know who you are, other than Ejkmrm.  Nice to be conversing,
nevertheless.