[KS] query: september monkey, etc.

Yuh Ji-Yeon jiyeon at sas.upenn.edu
Sat Dec 5 16:13:21 EST 1998

dear list members,

once again i trouble you with queries!

i would appreciate any information on induk pahk and on her book,
"september monkey,"  which was published in english in 1954 by harper and
brothers, and is an account of her life. are there any scholarly works that
discuss her life, her autobiography, how her autobiography was received in
korea, etc.?

i would also appreciate any information regarding how younghill kang's
work, particularly "east goes west," was received in korea itself. there
must be articles in korean about this, but i have not been able to locate
them, and articles/books in english do not seem to treat the question of
how his work is viewed/evaluated in korea.

also, there have been several memoirs in the past several years written in
korean by koreans living overseas, which discuss their immigrant
experiences. "from seoul to harvard" and "I am always a Korean" and "I too
am a daughter of Korea" come to mind. does anyone know of any other such
memoirs? they must be written in korean, not english. are there any
scholarly works discussing these memoirs? or perhaps long articles about
them in korean magazines that might discuss how these books came to be
written, how they are received in south korea, and other such background
information?

thank you.
yuh ji-yeon