[KS] Re: first message

Elizabeth Ten Dyke etdyke at shiva.hunter.cuny.edu
Tue Dec 15 10:07:55 EST 1998

I am a novice at Korean studies.  I came to it through my anthropological
interest in shamanism and spirit possession, but I am also driven my
interest in empirical and theoretical parallels to Germany--both before
1989 and since the (re) unification of the former GDR with the FRG.  In
fact, you may place me in the camp of people who might be looking FORWARD
to the collapse of the DPRK precisely for the fascinating comparison it
will offer to the events in Germany in the last decade.

I am motivated to reply to this message for one simple reason--the end of
the GDR came so rapidly, and so unexpectadly, that a generation of social
scientists were left in the dust, scraping through their publication
records for one article, one paragraph, one sentence to which they might
point in order to claim that they had NOT been so profoundly unaware of:
the extent of the GDR's dire economic/financial circumstances in the
1980s; the profound alienation (and silent dissatisfaction) of the
population from the state's official politics; the readiness of tens of
thousands of East Germans to literally walk away from their homeland.

Now, there are so many factors that I am curious about, as said, for
possible eventual research on conrasts and paralles between the Korean
and German case (including, for example, the extent to which members of
extended families divided by the two nations are allowed to maintain
contact with each other, the readiness of the South to accept immigrants
from the North, the degree to which the North does or does not emply
expatriation to the South of politically problematic individuals as part
of the process of controlling dissent in the North, etc.).  BUT, I simply
wanted to point out that as a novice at Korean studies, who relies
primarily on the press for information about the state of the DPRK, it
seems that circumstances there are pretty desperate--hunger, overwhelming
emphasis on maintaining (at the expense of feeding the population) the
ritual and ceremonial trappings of a state whose ideology must meet with
profound cynicism among ordinary folk; not to mention the enormous amount
of resources expended on military development and preparedness.

By the way--another thought: I was very interested by the recent series
of postings on the publications of Choi Jang-jip and the attendant
controversy.  Sounds awfully like controvery in Germany both before and
after 1989 about the representation of history, and the political
implications thereof.