[KS] Re: Colonial-era Japanese writer on `HAN' ??

Theresa Shim Sun Young theresa at logos.tsukuba.ac.jp
Sat Nov 14 05:39:22 EST 1998

Happy to hear of someone on the mailing list who is interested with the notion
"han". I am not sure of whether this is the one, "she" in your mail had in
mind, but it could be Yanagi Muneyoshi, a Japanese connoisseur of Korean art,
in the colonial period. I cannot say that the "formulation of the notion" can
be drown from his writing, but his ideas on Korean art does shows some
parallel to the notion of "ch'Onghan". You can confer to Ch'On I-du's <Han ui
kujo yOn'gu> [A Study on the Structure of Han] (Seoul: Munhak kwa ChisOgsa,
1993) or to Yanagi Muneyoshi's <Chosen o Omou> [Thoughts on Korea] (Tokyo:
Chikuma Shobou, 1984)
I would be very interested myself if there indeed was an
> earlier and more influential formulations of the notion
which comes
> from a Japanese writer during the colonial era.
Could you inform me if you get to know one?

Shim Sun Young
Tsukuba University
Japan