[KS] Re: Japanese and the Sokkuram Buddha

Junghee Lee junghee at nh1.nh.pdx.edu
Sat Nov 7 18:25:47 EST 1998

Dear Prof. Ramsey:

The Japanese archaeologist altered the architecture.  There was a
chaitya window which lets the light into the cave, so it will hit the
urna of the Buddha when the sun rises ( and its reflection will
lighten up the cave)  but it was blocked.  I do not know whether that
was to alter the spirit or not.  There are some objects missing,
including a  pagoda which stood behind the main Buddha and there
supposed to be another one Prof. Pai Hyung-il mentioned.  They were
supposedly taken away during the occupation period by the Japanese.
The reason Korean scholars keep mentioning this is probably because
they hope to find the pagoda some day as I hope too so we would know
more about Sokkuram.

Sincerely yours,

Junghee Lee
Department of Art