[KS] Hamel again, from Cheju-do to Seoul (Quelpaert to Sior)

Henny Savenije adam&eve at henny-savenije.demon.nl
Thu Oct 1 06:06:10 EDT 1998

Dear list,

Obviously van Hove didn't like to translate the journey of Hamel to Seoul,
so I
decided to transcribe that part and translate that into English, there are a
few place names which puzzle me, but somebody has some ideas. Here comes the
translated transcription (if there are people interested in the original
transcription I can send that too) Does anyone has an idea about the missing
place names or other ideas about the city names?

At the end of May the long expected message from the king arrived. On one side
that gave us sadness that we had to come to the court on the other side joy,
because we were to be released from the strong prison. Six or seven days later
we were divided over four junks where both our legs and a hand were locked
in a
block because they were afraid that otherwise we would overpower the junks and
tried to flee. That chance we certainly would have had, because during the
passage the soldiers who had to guard us were seasick during the biggest part
of the crossing. After we had sat two days like that, without the junks making
a lot of progress as a result of the head wind, we were unlocked again and
brought back to our house of detention. Four or five days later the wind came
from the right angle and we were taken aboard of the junks before daybreak,
where we were locked in the same way as before. Already at the evening of the
same day we found ourselves close to the mainland where we anchored. The next
day we were disembarked and taken into custody. The day there after we got
horses and rode to a city called Haijnam (Hainan), where we joined at night
all
36 together, because each junk moored at a different place. The next day after
we had eaten and mounted horses again, with which we rode to a city called
Ieham. At night gunman Paulus Janse Cool from Purmerend died there. He had
never been healthy ever since the loss of the ship. By order of the city
governor he was buried in our presence. From the grave we moved onto a city
called Naedjoo (Nachu). The next day we moved on again and stayed the night in
a city called Sansiangh (Changson), from where we left in the morning and
stayed in the city Tiongop (Chongup), passed that day a high fortress, where
lay a big reinforcement which was called Jipamsansiang (Ipamsansong) After we
had stayed in the city left in the morning and arrived on the same day in the
city Teijn (Tae'in) .The next day we sat on horseback again and came in the
afternoon in a small city called Huingh (?), after that we had taken a
lunch we
left again and arrived in the evening in a big city called Chentio (Chonju),
where the king in ancient times had his court and the cityholder of Thiollado
(Chollado)lives there. [This city] is considered throughout the country as a
big commercial center, which couldn't be reached by water, and therefor a city
surrounded by land. The next morning we left again and arrived at night in a
city called Iosan (Yosan), this was the last city from the province of
Tsiollado, from where we left in the morning on horseback again, and stayed
small city called Gunjin (Unjin), which layed in the province Tionsiangdo
(Chungchondo) left the next day to a city called Insaen (Yonsan): where we
stayed the night and were on horseback again the next morning. And arrived at
night in a city called Kongtio (Kongju), where the Cityholder of the province
of Shaelde has his court, the next day we passed a big river, and came into
the
province of Senggado (Kyonggido) where the Kings city lies.

-------

Henny  (Lee Hae Kang)

Feel free to visit
http://www.henny-savenije.demon.nl/index2.htm
and you can feel the thrill about the adventures of Hamel in Korea (1653-1666)