[KS] Re: class continuity

Nancy Abelmann nabelman at uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 20 00:33:51 EDT 1999

Hi Steve --<br>
I usuallu don't jump in but... I think you might take alook at a number
of village ethnographies that look close up at what happens to land
owners post Liberation (of course these aren;t super elites, it depends
what you mean).  Also I have two articles on women and class
mobility -- from a very anthropological perspective -- that might be
helpful:<br>
in South Korea: A Gendered, Transgenerational, Narrative Approach.”
<u>The Journal of Asian Studies</u>  56.2 (May, 1997):
398-420.<br>
“Narrating Selfhood and Personality in South Korea: Women and Social
Mobility.” <u>American Ethnologist</u> 24.4 (November, 1997):
786-812.<br>
question of the rperoduction of wealth and connections in spite of oft
assumptions that the Korean War severs all ties to former class capital.
I suggest my own work in no way because I think it is necessarily so
important but only because I happen to touch on that theme.  I the
JAS piece you will also find a pretty extensive biblio that might help
you.<br>
Good luck,<br>
Nancy<br>
At 10:40 AM 4/19/99 -1000, you wrote:<br>
>Hello all:<br>
><x-tab>       </x-tab>My name is
Steve Choi, and I'm a Master's student in Korean<br>
>Studies at the University of Hawaii.  I'm interested in the
issue of class<br>
>continuity in modern Korea, specifically if the upper class-elite has
held<br>
>on to its power from the colonial (or earlier) times to the present
and<br>
>how it has done so.  I've seen numerous allusions to this being
a matter<br>
>of great debate, but I have yet to see an English-language source
that<br>
>deals extensively with this.  Can anybody help me on this?
Thanks.<br>
><x-tab>       </x-tab>Steve
Choi<br>