[KS] New fix for CJK browsing, input, menus and dialog boxes.

James K Freda jfreda at ucla.edu
Fri Apr 9 22:03:05 EDT 1999

Of note on translingual web browsing. I have recently downloaded Internet
Explorer 5 for Windows. The standard version does not allow CJK input and
browsing, etc. but by downloading it to custom preferences or returning to
the Windows Update page http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/, you can scroll
down to get add-ons that allow browsing, input, and even conversion of all
dialogue boxes and menus to any number of languages, including German,
Korean, Chinese (trad. and simplified) Japanese, Vietnamese. This works only
for IE menus, not for the whole of Windows itself... But this is a great fix
for CJK web browsers.
Sometimes, for example when accessing a Korean library database, its own
internal dialogue boxes, for searches etc. request "author/title/subject",
may not encode properly and appear as gibberish. In this case, either click
the right mouse button and select encoding/Korean, or go to the View menu in
the toolbar above, and select encoding/Korean.
I am not at all in favor of advocating MSExplorer over other browsers, but
this is the best fix for internet I have found so far. It also allows CJK
input and encoding (reading) in Outlook Express...
Does Netscape/Eudora do the same? If not, such an update should be
forthcoming, I suppose.
Jim Freda
jfreda at ucla.edu