[KS] Translation Bibliography

Anthony anthony at ccs.sogang.ac.kr
Thu Apr 8 22:23:31 EDT 1999

Has anyone mentioned the appearance at the end of last year of a thick
tome (934 pages; ISBN 89-7155-041-4) with the English Title
'Bibliographies of Korean Literature in Foreign Languages' published by
'Korea Translation Foundation and Institute of Korean Culture, Korea
University' (don't ask where the articles went). Aiming to list every
translated poem / short story / etc in every language, the compilers at
Korea University were forced against their will by the other body to
publish a far - from - finished version. Lots of things are missing and
there are many misprints (including the invention of a translator named
MaCcan) for which the compiling team should not be blamed too harshly.
They are collecting corrections for a later revised version. If any one
needs a copy they should contact the Korea University institute by Fax
at (82) 2 926 8385 (136-701 Seoul, Songbuk-ku, Anam-dong 5ga 1) since I
doubt if it is available from Amazon.com but it is, at least, better
than nothing although it could have been much better with more time.

I just thought I would mention it. I fear it will be considered an
advertisement if I add that Cornell East Asia Series and DapGae (Seoul)
have just published a bilingual (Korean-English) edition of Shin
Kyong-Nim's first volume, Nong-mu / Farmer's Dance (trans. Br. Anthony &
Young-Moo Kim). But since it is not listed in the Bibliographies...

Brother Anthony
Sogang University, Seoul