[KS] Re: Question RE Cemeteries in North Korea...

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at fas.harvard.edu
Sat Apr 10 01:29:49 EDT 1999

Carol, try the _Korea Journal_ article by Lee Hyun Song -- or does your
interest relate to NK alone?:

Author: Lee, Hyun Song
Title: Change in Funeral Customs in Contemporary Korea
Year: 1996
Journal: Korea Journal
Volume: 36
Issue: 2 (Summer)
Pages: 49-60
Abstract: Korean funeral customs have been changing since the 1980s due to
industrialization, urbanization, Christianity, and the influence of Western
culture. Burial patterns have become simpler, more secular, and more
practical. This is seen in the shift toward cremations held in mortuaries
rather than burials held in homes. The emotional aspect of funerals is
dwindling and social support for the bereaved is moving from the family and
neighborhood to urban and professional networks.
[Abstract copyright Academic Index]

>Dear Members,
>
>        I am a Ph.D student in Geography at UCLA, currently involved in a
>historical geography seminar in which we are looking at issues of
>commemoration, how memory is constructed through the built-environment.  We
>are having a lot of discussion on the "places of the dead."  I have worked
>on North Korea quite a bit, and of course I am familiar with material on
>such major sites as the Martyrs' Cemetery.  I also have encountered hearsay
>about overseas Koreans being taken to see what are ostensibly the graves of
>separated family members.  But I have never seen any papers on such issues
>as public cemeteries or the funeral industry in general.  Indeed, I had not
>ever thought about it until now.  Does anyone have any insights or
>suggestions?
>
>        Sincerely,
>        Carol Medlicott
>        UCLA Department of Geography
>        cmedlico at ucla.edu
Frank Hoffmann * 1961 Columbia Pike #42 * Arlington, VA 22204 * USA
E-MAIL: hoffmann at fas.harvard.edu
W W W : http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~hoffmann/