[KS] Re: Vietnam War

Charles Rd K Armstrong cra10 at columbia.edu
Fri Aug 13 13:06:48 EDT 1999

The 1992 film "Hayan chonjaeng" ("White War", but translated for foreign
distribution as "White Badge") is based on the novel of the same name by
Ahn Junghyo, a Vietnam War vet who also translated his novel into Engish.
The novel is widely available in the US, and as far as I know is the only
first-hand treatment of the Korean experience in Vietnam in English. For
those who will be in the New York City area this fall, "White Badge" will
be part of the Korean Film Series to be shown at Columbia University; the
film is scheduled for sometime in October or November. Also, the Korean
Cultural Service at the ROK consulate in New York has a copy that visitors
can screen on request.

						Charles Armstrong