[KS] Re: WSJ article

Joshua Margolis jmargoli at nimbus.ocis.temple.edu
Tue Dec 14 11:05:58 EST 1999

I don't know how far they'll let one go with choosing the romanization of
one's own name in Korea, but I will throw in a piece of related information.
When a Korean immigrates to another country, they need to get a special
passport. In order to get the passport, they have to surrender their regular
passport, if they have one, as well as turn in their 'chumin tu^ngnok card.'
It doesn't even have to be immigration with intent to obtain citizenship.
Thus, in the case of the U.S., for example, it would apply even to life-long
green card holders who never give up their Korean citizenship. I always
thought that was a bit odd that they'd have separate passports like that,
though I can't say I'm familiar with the procedures in other countries.

Josh