[KS] Re: WSJ article

Leonid Petrov petrov at coombs.anu.edu.au
Wed Dec 15 05:26:55 EST 1999

S.Koreans do have an exceptional freedom in choosing their Romanised names
but only once, when they apply for passport for the first time. It must not
necessarily reflect their real names though... For example, one of my Korean
friends (a passionate admirer of anarchism) filled in his passport
application form as Park Leff Soon-yawl.

The Koreans in China also have been benefiting from the chaos in the PRC
passport system. Every time they have to go to N.Korea after S.Korea and
vice versa, they apply to for a new (business or private) type of passport
under a new, often just fake name.

The Russian passport system is less flexible. Traditionally, RF OVIRs and
Embassies use French in all official paperwork including passports for
foreign travel (every Russian citizen must also have a domestic passport
with PROPISKA). Therefore, many Korean names in Russian passports still look
like Tsoi, Tzyu, etc.

LEONID A. PETROV
WWW: http://members.xoom.com/north_korea/index.html