[KS] Re: Facing/Avoiding One's Own Heritage

Pak, Jacqueline jypak at ipo.net
Fri Feb 5 16:24:47 EST 1999

Dear List,

Speaking of myths, I suppose "pure objectivity" is a myth for any academic,
whatever nationality, race, origin or gender.  We just pray to do the best
we can.  I believe a suggestion about Koreans not being able to objectively
"face one's own heritage" or the traumatic past is either naive or
arrogant.

As Gene observed, a new shift of demographic balance in Korean Studies
certainly invites new possibilities of approach and methodology.

Concerning Frank's supposed response to me, I thought that his deductive
imagination was running wild.  He seems to have made up his mind without
evidence which is always problematic, if not dangerous.  What methodology,
who protagonist, who good and bad guys?  Huh?

About Koen's comments about collaboration and ideologically appropriating
the historical past to commentarize on the political present, those who are
more interested in this topic can pursue it further with an upcoming volume
(I think) on the Leiden Workshop.

Thanks,
Jacqueline Pak