[KS] Re: Facing/Avoiding One's Own Heritage

carl saxer carl.saxer at st-antonys.oxford.ac.uk
Fri Feb 5 17:34:10 EST 1999

Dear List

It seems my remark that maybe more time is required, led
some to believe that I argue that  Koreans are less capable
of facing their  controversial past than others. Not at
all. We can just take a look at France, where collaboration
(e.g. the Vichy Regime) is a highly inflammable issue. My
own country, Denmark, has also until  recently preferred to
'play up' the rather few 'heroic'  actions which took place
under German occupation, and largely ignored (or swept
under the rug) the more painful realization that only a
very few took actively part in any resistance, and rather
more collaborated with the Germans in some way.
The fact remains that facing your past is painful and takes
time.

Carl Saxer
carl saxer
carl.saxer at sant.ox.ac.uk