[KS] Experience of Han

goodwin goodwin at nas.net
Tue Feb 2 13:13:06 EST 1999

Hi Linda et al.,

Regarding "han" it sounds like Lee Jae Hoon's, "The Exploration of The Inner
Wounds ..." is probably one of the most thorough and systematic studies of
the subject in English. If anyone on the list knows of something else, I too
would value hearing about it!

There are a few other references to "han" which I have discovered and which
have been useful to me in my own work.

First, a one page poem/meditation on "han" by a Korean American psychiatrist
in a book entitled, "Wild Asters: Explorations In Korean Culture, Thought,
and Society"  Morse, Ronald, ed. (Lanham. U. Press of America. 1987).  This
piece was positioned by the publisher as a kind of chapter divider, I think,
and it is is accompanied by a work of Chinese influenced calligraphy (near
the middle of the book).

Second, a helpful (though again brief) set or remarks in James Fallows' (I
think) excellent, "Looking at The Sun: The Rise of The New East Asian
Political Economic System" (Just search the first few pages of the section
on the newly industrializing dragons and/or Korea I can't really recall.)
This book is widely available.

And finally, there is a very interesting attempt by an American journalist
to put Korean culture (and the tumult there in the late 1980s) into a
perspective informed by the author's own interpretation of "han" entitled,
"The Shadow in The Sun: A Korean Year of Love and Sorrow" (New York.
Atlantic Monthly Press. 1990) by Michael Shapiro.  I recommend this last one
for its powerful narrative and broad based approach.

Thank you.

Michael Goodwin
goodwin at nas.net