[KS] Re: Collaboration

Pak, Jacqueline jypak at ipo.net
Thu Feb 4 20:09:33 EST 1999

Dear List,

Thanks to all for interesting discussions and information on collaboration.

Here, I just wanted to say that Prof. Ledyard may have overstated and
possibly misappropriated my comment about collaboration as victimization.
When I started to respond to a relatively simply query, I was not making a
blanket theoretical statement equating both. Nor did I suggest a new
"Jacqueline's paradigm" of collaboration as victimization.  In any case, I
agree with him and others that Yi Kwangsu or Kim Songsu or even any
ordinary acts of daily collaboration are all difficult and complex topics
and far more research and debates may be needed.

With my comments requesting greater sensitivity concerning this complex
issue, I was more interested in urging greater openness to new paradigmatic
possibilities in terms of understanding colonial history and modern history
in light of new and growing studies on the nature of nationalist movement.

Prof. Ledyard mentioned, for example, the introduction from the famous and
controversial "Origins" from 1981 by Cumings and others. Having examined
the nationalist movement and leadership for the past decade or so, I began
to realize how much we did not know about the extent and severity of Korean
suffering and resistance.  (Perhaps, that is the serious lacuna of this and
other works as well.)  When a wholly new vista of political dynamics and
patterns of the Korean anticolonial struggle and resistance emerges, is it
not possible, after all, to reconsider the older paradigms?

Of course, we are all much indebted to the early works which have helped to
shape our knowledge and guide the debates in important ways.

Jacqueline Pak