[KS] Thanks

K. Maksymyk & D. Prendergast scone1 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 29 07:08:35 EST 1999

Dear List Members,

I would also like to send my thanks to all those who responded to my
query. In thanks therefore I wish to give to a tiny extract from the
excellent novel "The Shaman Sorceress". The context:  The tragic
heroine Eulhwa is summing up how she sees her role as shaman during a
vibrant argument with her son concerning Christianity.

"To this day I have been curing those who were possessed of ghosts and
about to die or had their livelihood ruined as a result. By the Great
Rite or the Rite of Banishment I part the ghost from his host and send
him to the otherworld....it is good to save one on the verge of death
but is it not a thankful and marvellous thing to open up the way for a
ghost that gropes about having lost its way and let it fly across to
the otherworld?"                        (Kim : 1988 : 140)

....she then goes onto infuriate her son by comparing herself with
Jesus.

Again, many thanks :)

David Prendergast

Department of Social Anthropology