[KS] Re: Thanks and The experience of "Han"

Nancy Lee kimchee at nwlink.com
Fri Jan 29 11:02:34 EST 1999

On 29-Jan-99, Linda Goddard wrote:

> Does anyone know if there are written materials about the experience of
> HAN and if there are, are they available in English?

Right now I'm reading a fascinating book in English by Jae Hoon Lee called
"The Exploration of The Inner Wounds -- *Han*".  (Available from
Amazon.com, which is where I got it.)  Here is the the publisher's blurb
from the back of the book:
    Deep within the unconscious mind lies the seedbed of human emotion
    and creativity -- love, hate, regret, joy, sadness, greed, and
    and envy.  The Korean soul has its own unique aspect, and in the
    Korean language it is called *han* (pronounced as hahn).  This work is
    an exploration of *han* and a contribution to the indigenous Minjung
    Theology of Christianity in Korea.  In articulating his understanding
    of *han*, the author examines recent studies by Korean scholars in
    folklore, Shamanism, literature and psychology, the depth psychologies
    of Melanie Klein and Carl Jung, Korean Shamanism, the personal *han* of
    three individuals (King Yonsan, Sowol, Eun Ko), and the work of five
    Minjung theologians.  Of interest to students of Korean culture,
    Minjung Theology, psychology and religion, contextual and comparative
    religion, this study provides a full and compelling portrait of *han.*

I'm a non-scholar (artist & writer) so I'm finding it way over my head,
but it is a FASCINATING book nonetheless.  Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Nancy Lee
<kimchee at nwlink.com>