[KS] Re: How to Write Korean Names in English?

Sam Martin semartin at pacifier.com
Sat Jan 9 09:15:15 EST 1999

Mark Peterson asks why some university presses omit a hyphen in the
typical Korean personal name (created from two Chinese characters), others
put it in. Leaving it out, so that the personal name is treated as an
unanalyzed entity, follows the recommendation of a 1982 conference
that I chaired. You will find the all the recommendations in "Report of the
Workshop Conference on Korean Romanization", Korean Studies 4 (Center for
Korean Studies, U.H.). That paper is sometimes referred to as "Austerlitz
et al.", since I asked that the participants be listed alphabetically.

I regret that the paper has been largely forgotten, for it contains
reasonable compromises on different approaches to particular problems.