[KS] Book Alert!
pipkim at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 22 00:56:26 EDT 1999
ACTA KOREANA: A JOURNAL OF KOREAN STUDIES, Vol. 2, (1999) is now available!
The second issue of the Korean studies academic journal published by Academia Koreana of Keimyung University contains 7 articles,1 Short Story in translation and 12 book reviews on various aspects of Korean culture, language, liteature, business, and immigration experience.
Article titles include:
- Hyaeweol Choi, Women's Work for "Heathen Sisters": American Women Missionaries and their Educational Work in Korea
- John Goulde, Tracing the Historical and Cultural Roots of Korean Ethno-Nationalism
- Kwang Chung Kim, Ailee Moon, and Young In Song, Effects of Korean Schools on Young Korean Americans
- Saehyang P. Chung, New Findings on Some Possible Artistic Sources of Kim Hongdo's "Lunch"
- Robert J. Fouser, A Tale of Two Projects: Korean and Japanese Literature in Translation
- Carolyn So, Journey into the Fantastic Space in Korean and Korean-American Literature
- Joel Stevenson, Literature of the Liberation Period
Literature in Translation:
- Constable Maeng by Ch'ae Mansik, translated by Joel Stevenson
And 12 book reviews¡¦. In collaboration with the Korean Studies Review, we have cited two book reviews from their website at http://www.dur.ac.uk/~dmu0rcp/ksrmain.htm. Book reviews
submitted directly to Acta Koreana and accepted for publication will also appear in the Korean Studies Review at the above website address.
- Big Business, Strong State: Collusion and Conflic in South Korean Development, 196-1990. By Eun Mee Kim
- Korean Shamanist Ritual: Symbols and Dramas of Transformation. By Daniel A. Kister
- A Korean Nationalist Entrepreneur: A Life History of Kim Songsu, 1891-1955. By Choong Soon Kim
- The Korean American Dream: Immigrants and Small Business in New York City. By Kyeyoung Park
- The Halla Huhm Dance Collection: An Inventory and Finding Aid. Ed. by Judy Van Zile
- Azaleas and Golden Bells: Korean Art in the Collection of the Portland Art Museum and in Portland Private Collections. By Junghee Lee
- Die kleine Schmanin: Geschichten aus Korea. Uebersetzt by Kim Tschong-Dae und Enid Gajek
- The Korean Alphabet: Its History and Structure. Ed. by Young-Key Kim-Renaud
- Handbook of Korean Vocabulary: A Resource for Word Recognition and Comprehension. By Miho Choo & William O'Grady
- Han+ Kugo sajon (Han+ Dictionary of Korean). Compiled by Nam Yongsin
- The Memoirs of Lady Hyegyong: The Autobiographical Writings of a Crown Princess of Eighteenth-Century Korea. By Hyegyonggung Hong Ssi. Trans. by JaHyung Kim Haboush
- The Snow Falling on Chagall's Village: Selected Poems by Kim Ch'un-Su. By Kim Ch'un-Su. Trans. by Kim Jong-Gil
Annual subscription rate: $ 18.00 in U.S. and Canada, $ 20.00 in other countries including shipping and handling. Payment is requested with your order. Please remit in U.S. fudns drawn on a U.S. bank, make check or money order payable to Academia Koreana at the address below.
Manuscripts for the next issue, which is scheduled to be published in June 2000, are now being accepted and should be submitted no later than the end of Feb., 2000. Guidelines for submission will be found on page ii of the journal.
Tschung-Sun Kim, Ph.D.
Editor-in-Chief of Acta Koreana
Academia Koreana of Keimyung University
12020 Wendy St., Cerritos, CA 90703, USA
More information about the Koreanstudies