[KS] Re: maps of Korea

Joy Kim joykim at usc.edu
Tue Jul 6 13:44:33 EDT 1999

The Korean Heritage Library of the University of Southern California has a
collection of about 150 mostly European maps of 17th-19th century,
featuring Asia.  There are a few featuring the world. One curious
characteristic of our collection has to do with the name of the body of
water between Japan and Korea.  Most maps in our collection calls it the
"Sea of Korea" (or its equivalent depending on the language of the map)
rather than the more commonly known the "Sea of Japan".  Our maps have been
scanned, but they are not yet on the Web.  Our goal is to make them
available on the Web.

At 01:34 AM 7/3/99 +0200, you wrote:
>Dear list,
>
>I have two things. Anyone interested in 17th century European maps about
>Korea are invited to take a look at:
>http://www.henny-savenije.demon.nl/maps.htm and
>http://www.henny-savenije.demon.nl/maps2.htm
>
>If anyone can tell me anything more about the Korean maps I would be happy.
>
>I also collected all the 17th century Dutch (well I think I have them all)
>documents mentioning Korea, but unfortunately I still have to translate
>them, they are at:
>http://www.henny-savenije.demon.nl/Dutch
>
>>From another list I received the following question, does anyone have an
>answer to that?
>
>>henny,
>>
>>took a quick look.  wonderful!
>>look forward to closer study.
>>by the way,  do you happen to know
>>which institutions hold
>>premier map collection of
>>korean peninsula?
>>regarding my own peninsular carto project
>>involving terrain @ 38 00N,  some
>>info of my presentation at upcoming
>>conference of north american
>>cartographic information society (nacis):
>>
>>http://www.nacis.org/williamsburg/abstracts/natsios.html
>>best,
>>deborah
>>
>Sincerely
>-----------------------------
>Henny  (Lee Hae Kang)
>
>Feel free to visit
>http://www.henny-savenije.demon.nl
>and feel the thrill of Hamel discovering Korea (1653-1666)

	Joy Kim
	Curator, Korean Heritage Library
	University of Southern California
	University Park