[KS] Re: American Culture in Korea: Possible Research Sources

Jim Shon aloha.net jshon at aloha.net
Wed Jun 16 15:01:08 EDT 1999

Dear List,
I would suggest that this inquiry include interviews with English Teachers
who taught with Peace Corps Volunteers.  The educational establishment is a
conservative one, yet it had substantial interaction with young Americans.
The impacts went beyond classroom learning to scheduling and prioritizing
school activities.  Did other teachers resent the special status Americans
and their co-teachers may have enjoyed?  Did the impact of hundreds of
thousands of students taught by Americans overshadow the interaction with
the US military in Korea?

Do the Koreans who had contact with PCVs have a different attitude toward
the US?

Jim Shon
K-12  1970-73