[KS] CALL FOR PAPERS - Yale Conference on Women in Asia

Nicholas Tustin nikosjt at pantheon.yale.edu
Fri Jun 11 11:05:22 EDT 1999

***************CALL FOR PAPERS******************
            "Female Images, Female Lives"
            February 25-26, 2000
            Yale University
            New Haven, Connecticut

    We'd like to announce the first call for papers for a conference to
take place at Yale University February 25-26, 2000. Please let your
colleagues and students know!

Titled "Female Images, Female Lives," this interdisciplinary
conference's theme may encompass essentially anything to do with women
of East or Southeast Asia, or Asian-American women.  Possible topics for
individual papers or panels could include anything from the images of
women promulagated by Buddhist texts, the organization of female labour
in modern Taiwan, the impact of Confucianism on Korean women, female
subjectivity in the poetry of Li Qingzhao, women and patriarchy in India
under English rule etc.  We hope to attract graduate students and
faculty from around the nation interested in presenting scholarship in
the history, literature,artistic expression, political status and
experiences of women in both premodern and modern Asia.Obviously, these
examples do not begin to exhaust the possibilities.
	We've invited some wonderful guest speakers whose names will be
announced once they confirm with us.
    More information may be obtained periodically via email updates. If
you would like to be included on our email mailing list, please send the
one-word message "maillist" to melinda.varner at yale.edu and future
updates on this conference will automatically be emailed to you.
    A web site with many helpful links is also under construction and
will be available soon.

    We hope to construct several panels on various themes and in
different disciplines, but individual papers are welcome. Abstracts
should be no more than two typed papers and should include your full
name, email address, phone number, and institutional affliation and
status (i.e. faculty, graduate student (include dept and year).  The
deadine for submission is January 17, 2000. Abstracts can be submitted
as email attachments or text to:
melinda.varner at yale.edu  AND  nikosjt at pantheon.yale.edu  (send to BOTH
addresses)

or TWO copies by snail mail to:
            Conference Abstract
            Female Images, Female Lives
            c/o Nick Tustin
            184 Foster Street
            New Haven, CT 06460

    Please contact Nick Tustin over the summer with any questions,
comments or concerns at: nikosjt at pantheon.yale.edu
More information will be forthcoming soon via listserv and email
updates. Please look for our website later this summer, we will announce
the address soon.
    The historic city of New Haven is located along Connecticut's
charming southeastern coastline. Yale University (founded 1701) offers
visitors unique opportunities to explore its historic campus as well as
enjoy many nearby cafes, speciality shops and restaurants. New Haven is
easily accessible by car along the I-95 corridor, by train (Amtrak or
Metro North) and by air (via JFK, LaGuardia or Bradley Aiport in
Hartford). Shuttle service is available from all three airports via
Connecticut Limo. Hotels within an easy walking distance of the Yale
Campus include the Holiday Inn (New Haven), the Omni. Three Chimneys Inn
and Hotel Duncan. Check our website soon for links to many local
attractions and lodging information.
    We hope to see you here in February! Please don't hesitate to
contact us with any questions.
Sponsored by Yale University's Council of East Asian Studies
(http://www.yale.edu/ceas/index.html)

Some useful links:
Connecticut Limo:        www.ctlimo.com
Phone numbers for local hotels: