[KS] On English education at high school in Korea & Japan.

김 용택 yongta-k at hoffman.cc.sophia.ac.jp
Tue Jun 29 04:57:47 EDT 1999

------=_NextPart_000_0038_01BEC258.E56EB160

Dear List,

One of my Japanese friend asked some questions on English education at high
school in Korea and Japan.  This work is supposed to be reported at 12th
World Congress of Applied Linguistics, AILA '99 Tokyo, which will be held at
Waseda  Univ. Aug. 1-6.  Anyone can aswer these questions?

This is what he wrote:

The Japanese High school English education system (Course of Study)
    Subjects: English I   (4 units)
                  English II  (4 units)
                  Oral Communication A <Conversation> (2 units)
                  Oral Communication B <Listening> (2 units)
                  Oral Communication C <Debating, Discussion, etc.> (2units)
                  Reading  (4 units)
                  Writing   (4 units)

 Students need to take English I (compulsory) and some other
subjects.  The subjects vary from school to school, i.e. each school can
design its own English education curriculum.

Question 1-5

I. What is the English education system is like at Korean high schools,
compared with
the Japanese one?

2. We have decided to compare the Japanese textbooks for English I with
Korean textbook which correspond to this because it is supposed to be a
compulsory subject in Japanese high school.
Is there any compulsory course for English in Korea like English I in Japan?
I've got a Korean textbook 'English for Everyone'. Is this a textbook for a
compulsory course?

We have as many as 53 different kinds of English I textbooks and they
are divided into 5 levels. (Since there are so many levels among high
schools in Japan: form Very Competitive to The Least Competitive)  The
Japanese companies seems to have their own inside criteria for setting
the levels, and it is troublesome for us, because we must take this fact
into our consideration when we carry out this research

3. Do you see any such differences among Korean English
textbooks?  If you do, please let me know about what you know about
this.

4. How many publishing companies for English textbooks do you
have in South Korea?  (I would appreciate it if you include the number
of kinds of textbooks.)

5. As for English I, the students are supposed to take four
lessons a week. (That is why it is a 4 unit subject.)  Is 'English for
everyone' or the subject corresponds to it like that? Or, how many hours
or classes are the Korean high school students supposed to take the
subject per week?

Would you email Mr. Suzuki directly.
toshisuz at ka2.so-net.ne.jp
or just reply this?

I'd appreciate if you help him out.

------=_NextPart_000_0038_01BEC258.E56EB160

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dks_c_5601-1987" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Dear List,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>One of my Japanese friend asked some questions on=20
English education at high school in Korea and Japan.  This =
work is=20
supposed to be reported at 12th World Congress of Applied Linguistics, =
AILA '99=20
Tokyo, which will be held at Waseda  Univ. Aug. 1-6.  =
Anyone can=20
aswer these questions?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><BR>This is what he wrote:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><BR>The Japanese High school English education =
system (Course=20
of Study)<BR>    Subjects: English I   (4=20
units)<BR>          &nb=
sp;      =20
English II  (4=20
units)<BR>          &nb=
sp;      =20
Oral Communication A <Conversation> (2=20
units)<BR>          &nb=
sp;      =20
Oral Communication B <Listening> (2=20
units)<BR>          &nb=
sp;      =20
Oral Communication C <Debating, Discussion, etc.>=20
(2units)<BR>          &=
nbsp;      =20
Reading  (4=20
units)<BR>          &nb=
sp;      =20
Writing   (4 units)<BR><BR> Students need to take English =
I=20
(compulsory) and some other<BR>subjects.  The subjects vary from =
school to=20
school, i.e. each school can<BR>design its own English education=20
curriculum.<BR><BR>Question 1-5</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I. What is the English education system is like at =
Korean high=20
schools, compared with<BR>the Japanese one?<BR><BR>2. We have decided to =
compare=20
the Japanese textbooks for English I with Korean textbook which =
correspond to=20
this because it is supposed to be a compulsory subject in Japanese high =
school.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Is there any compulsory course for English in Korea =
like=20
English I in Japan?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I've got a Korean textbook 'English for Everyone'. =
Is this a=20
textbook for a compulsory course?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>We have as many as 53 different kinds of English I =
textbooks=20
and they<BR>are divided into 5 levels. (Since there are so many levels =
among=20
high<BR>schools in Japan: form Very Competitive to The Least =
Competitive) =20
The<BR>Japanese companies seems to have their own inside criteria for=20
setting<BR>the levels, and it is troublesome for us, because we must =
take this=20
fact<BR>into our consideration when we carry out this =
research</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>3. Do you see any such differences among Korean=20
English<BR>textbooks?  If you do, please let me know about what you =
know=20
about<BR>this.<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>4. How many publishing companies for English =
textbooks do=20
you<BR>have in South Korea?  (I would appreciate it if you include =
the=20
number<BR>of kinds of textbooks.)<BR><BR>5. As for English I, the =
students are=20
supposed to take four<BR>lessons a week. (That is why it is a 4 unit=20
subject.)  Is 'English for<BR>everyone' or the subject corresponds =
to it=20
like that? Or, how many hours<BR>or classes are the Korean high school =
students=20
supposed to take the<BR>subject per week?<BR><BR></FONT><FONT =
size=3D2>Would you=20
email Mr. Suzuki directly.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"mailto:toshisuz at ka2.so-net.ne.jp">toshisuz at ka2.so-net.ne.jp</A><B=
R>or just=20
reply this?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I'd appreciate if you help him out.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2> </DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0038_01BEC258.E56EB160--