[KS] Re: Using han'gul fonts

Henny Savenije adam&eve at henny-savenije.demon.nl
Thu Nov 18 18:36:47 EST 1999

At 03:11 AM 11/19/99 , you wrote:

>I once sent a hwp (Arae-a Hangul 2.5 file) file to a person who is using
>Word 2000 and the Global IME. He could not read my file, so I had to send
>it again in text file (oansong hyong). Yes, he could read it. Is there any
>way he can read my hwp file under word 2000 with the Global IME?

No.

I tried it in a zillion ways, but it's not possible, they're just
incompatible. The only thing you can indeed do is send is as a text file.

The biggest problem with sending Korean email is that there are no
standards yet. Sometimes a provider will send it in 8 bits format while the
receiver receives it in 7 bit format. All the Korean (or Chinese, Japanese)
characters will be gone and only the question marks, dots, comma's and the
like come through. I have done some testing and indeed I couldn't receive
Korean email from Yahoo and Hotmail accounts, while I could do it if I send
the same mail to myself. Obviously the biggest providers of free email are
using a different format than the other providers while 7bits is the
official standard. A work around  is that one sends the email as a txt
(text) attachment. In that case, routers and providers will leave the
attachments untouched and thus readable.

Also one needs to be aware of the software the receiver has installed. So
before sending attachments one needs to ask in what format the receiver can
handle the mail. Then one has to send it in the format the other party can
recognize: *.doc for word, *.hwp for the different versions of Hangul,
*.wpd for WordPerfect, *.gif and *.jpg for many picture editors, but not
all, *.bmp for all users, but big in file size. (the same picture in jpg
[jpeg] and bitmap [bmp] can differ sometimes a factor 10 in size, jpeg
being the smallest, depending if one compressed it or not, jpeg has the
possibility to compress it WITH the picture software one is using, not with
winzip or the like). And above all, don't send Korean email as formatted
text (switch of the tag "send as html") since that is also the cause of
major problems.

So DON'T send pdf files if one is not sure that the other party is using
Acrobat reader ;-)

Cheers
Henny  (Lee Hae Kang)

Feel free to visit
http://www.henny-savenije.demon.nl
and feel the thrill of Hamel discovering Korea (1653-1666)