[KS] Re: North-South Standard Dialects, Regionalism

Henny Savenije adam&eve at henny-savenije.demon.nl
Tue Aug 8 10:53:29 EDT 2000

    REPLY sends your message to the whole list. __________________________________________________

>As far as I am aware, regionalism is the result of the geographic
>composition of the peninsula. This created very difficult terrain to cross
>in the Yi and previous periods prior to modernization, which lent its hand
>at creating regional differences through separation.

Mm, I think regionalism existed everywhere, at least in the old world where
people traveled less a century ago. When I grew up it still existed but due
to modernization a lot of it has gone but, at least in the Netherlands lots
of regions were pretty independent and dialects differed greatly. My sister
taught at a school where half of her students were almost unable to
communicate with the other half, since the village lies on the border of
Friesland and Groningen. Frisian is a different language than Dutch,
Groningen dialect is pretty different too. My grandparents (only living 10
km away, spoke already a different dialect than we did. I don't think the
terrain in Holland was so difficult to cross, at least not in the region
where I lived. Agreed mountains will add to greater differences, but I
don't think this is the only explanation and a too easy one. As for the
official language, neither the people in the Hague nor the people in
Amsterdam speak the official language. That privilege is taken by Haarlem.
Also in London the people don't speak the Queens English, that privilege is
only taken by her ;-) I think people of the New World tend to forget that
dialects and regionalism in the old world are a phenomena which is not easy
to understand. The difference between Liverpool English and London English
is much bigger than New York English and Los Angeles English or even Texan,
to mention only a few examples.

I know we are not studying Dutch history and language here, but I thought
it was good to make some comparisons. I hope others will throw in their
ideas as well.

>The dialect question is an interesting and good one. I had always taken
>the "Seoul" position at face value without questioning it.

Seoul, till the end of the 19th century was a relative small city as
compared to other cities, it was only the "Kings City".
Henny  (Lee Hae Kang)

Feel free to visit
http://www.henny-savenije.demon.nl
and feel the thrill of Hamel discovering Korea (1653-1666)
In Korean
http://www.henny-savenije.demon.nl/indexk2.htm