[KS] Re: North-South Standard Dialects, Regionalism

Jason Shaw Parker parker.294 at osu.edu
Tue Aug 8 09:29:36 EDT 2000

    REPLY sends your message to the whole list. __________________________________________________
John,

As far as I am aware, regionalism is the result of the geographic
composition of the peninsula. This created very difficult terrain to cross
in the Yi and previous periods prior to modernization, which lent its hand
at creating regional differences through separation. The dialect question
is an interesting and good one. I had always taken the "Seoul" position at
face value without questioning it. I know of one anthropologist who has
done linguistic work in Korea but his name escapes me at the moment. If I
can come up with it, I'll forward you the citation.  I also was taught that
"standard" textbook Korean was the Seoul dialect. I believe it is mentioned
in the text published by Yonsei University, I would have to double check
that though.

Jason Parker