[KS] Re: gynecologists

k u s h i b o jdh95 at hitel.net
Tue Aug 29 23:52:17 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

Reply to: kushibo at mac.com

Kaliher, Kenneth L writes"
> It is my impression from decades of (admittedly second-hand) observation
> that a significant number of Korea's Caesarian births are due to the
> mothers'/parents'/mothers-in-law's desire to induce a child's birth on a
> particularly propitious date, for fortune tellers' future favorable
> reference.

Secondhand knowledge of mine supports what you suggest here. But aren't
there safer ways to induce labor than major surgery? Anyway, if the
propitious date theory is a factor, then this supports what Henny was trying
to say about lip service being paid to mothers (seems to me sometimes that
promotion of motherhood is what is desired, not necessarily respect for
mothers themselves).

> As for Korean hospitals in which foreigners (and, presumably, other
> expectant mothers) might feel comfortable, I would also suggest checking out
> the Samsung Hospital on the southern edge of Seoul.  It may be too late for
> Henny's wife to make a switch, but several foreign acquaintances have had
> very high praise for the int'l clinic staff there, in particular their
> attentiveness to Western patients' desire to have treatments and regimens
> explained in detail, and their general familiarity with Western medical
> practices.  (Many of the doctors are U.S.-trained.)  Again, I am luckily
> without first-hand experience there, but to date have heard only high praise
> for the hospital and its staff.

My big complaint about Samsung Hospital's Foreigner's Clinic is that they
refuse to accept Korea's national health insurance. I was told that this is
"because most foreigners don't have Korean health insurance." Given that the
rest of the hospital has that system in place, and given that the number of
foreign nationals in Korea with Korean health insurance is rapidly
increasing, this seemed to me like a load of nonsense.

At any rate, the rest of the hospital does accept Korean health insurance
(does anyone on this list know if such things are required by hospitals?)
and the staff there are very knowledgeable and very willing to explain
things if you ask. But you have to speak Korean.

K U S H I B O