[KS] Professor Fred Lukoff

kimrenau kimrenau at gwu.edu
Wed Aug 16 13:34:47 EDT 2000

    REPLY sends your message to the whole list. __________________________________________________
Dear Colleagues,

I have a sad mission to inform you of the passing of Professor Fred Lukoff, a
great linguist and scholar in Korean studies.  Dr. Lukoff passed away after a
brief illness from lung cancer last Sunday, the 13th of August 2000.
Professor Lukoff followed his wife, Young Soon Lukoff, M.D., whose own sudden
death two months ago was a shock to their family and friends.  Dr. Lukoff is
survived by a daughter, Margaret Donghyang Lukoff (mpL4 at columbia.edu), and a
son, Benjamin Donguk Lukoff (bLukoff at alvord.com).

Professor Lukoff was internationally known even before he got into Korean
linguistics more than four decades ago.  He co-authored with such eminent
scholars as Noam Chomsky, Morris Halle, and Zellig Harris. I have been
impressed with his deep understanding of the Korean language and culture, not
unlike that of a native speaker's. He served as the first President of the
International Association for Korean Language Education.  On a personal level,
he was a quiet but caring mentor and friend to me, a role model, as he was to
many others.  He sent me little notes of praise and encouragement, when I
least expected them.  He will be thoroughly missed.

Young-Key Kim-Renaud
The George Washington University
kimrenau at gwu.edu