[KS] North-South Standard Dialects, Regionalism

John Duggan duggan_john at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 8 02:00:57 EDT 2000

    REPLY sends your message to the whole list. __________________________________________________
   When I studied Korean (in the 1970s), one of my teachers claimed that
"textbook" Korean in the South was the Seoul dialect with some elements of
Kyongsang-do dialect added in, whereas in the North standard Korean combined
elements of Pyongan and Hamgyong dialects.  Does anyone know of a study that
could confirm this?

   Also, I was discussing with a friend the regionalism in the south.  Did
that always exist in its current strength, or has it been, as I have heard
claimed, something that certain political leaders (perhaps from both ruling
and opposition parties) cultivated at the expense of unity?

Sincerely

John Duggan