[KS] Bando hotel history

Hyung Il Pai hyungpai at humanitas.ucsb.edu
Sat Jan 15 14:23:28 EST 2000

Dear Dr. Zulauf,
There is a recent book published by the Yohaeng Sinminsa (Travel
news) titled, The Fifty year Secret history of Korean Tourism." (Han'guk
Kwan'gwang Yoksa 50 nyon pisa). There are at least two fascinating
chapters
taken from interviews of the Bando hotel staff who continued to serve the
U.S. takeover from the end of Japanese occupation and thru the Korean War
and up to Syng-Man Rhee. There are photos in that book of the hotel at
that time but are pretty faded.It takes the history of the hotel up to the
1970's.
I bought this book at the Kyobo book store last summer in the Tourism
section- I am sure you can still order it .
Good luck on a interesting topic.

I look forward to your reply.
Yours sincerely,
Hyung Il Pai,
 East Asian Languages and Cultural Studies,
 HSSB Building, University of California,
Santa Barbara, CA 93106, U.S.A.
Tel: (805) 893-2245  Fax:  (805) 893-3011
EMail:  hyungpai at humanitas.ucsb.edu