[KS] Re: RE: Se habla Han'gul?--p.s.

Robert Ramsey sr1 at umail.umd.edu
Thu Jan 27 16:08:10 EST 2000

Young-Key: You're quite right.  The colloquial Chinese word for spoken
Chinese is _Zhongwen_, even though it literally means the Chinese written
language (it's the only word I myself can ever recall hearing in the
context 'Do you speak Chinese?', for example).  And, again as you point
out, in most (literate) cultures (at least for most people) this kind of
confusion seems to be very common.
	But what I wanted to ask is this:  The North Korean word for the
Korean writing system is of course <urigUl(tcha)> or <ChosOn'gUl>, as you
say.  But I recall hearing that in casual speech in North Korea, the Korean
writing system is also sometimes called <ChosOnmal>, by which is meant not
the spoken language, but Korean writing, the Hangul letters themselves.
Does this accord with your experience?

Robert Ramsey
sr1 at umail.umd.edu