[KS] Hangul and u-ri-mal

Byung-Joon Lim open24hours at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 27 11:52:47 EST 2000

Dear list:

I've observed many Korean native speakers using "Hangul" to refer to the
Korean language itself, not the Korean alphabet.

Not only relatively uneducated Koreans but many well-educated Korean people
also use "Hangul" to refer to the Korean language.

I myself don't mix them together, but some of the Korean folks I met, mostly
college graduates, do use the words "Hangul" and "u-ri-mal" interchangeably,
especially when they talk about the written Korean language.

For instance, I've heard the following conversation between two native
speakers of Korean:  When someone used a Korean slang, which was not
generally acceptable to general public, another person said "What would King
Sejong say if he heard that slang?"

Of course King Sejong had nothing to do with the Korean language itself,
because he didn't create it.  But in that speaker's mind, "Hangul" and
"Korean" were obviously confused.

I really like this discussion list, and I enjoy reading your postings every
day.

Peace and grace,

Byung-Joon Lim        http://wwud.com