[KS] Mac users in Korea + Romanization

kushibo jdh95 at hitel.net
Wed Jul 12 18:55:43 EDT 2000

John Duggan wrote:
> He has a theory
> (all-encompasing, Velikovsky springs to mind) that the world was transformed
> in the 6th Century CE by a single massive climatic event, i.e meteor or
> comet impact, or a massive volcanic eruption.  He devotes an entire chapter
> to the rise of Silla. Have any Silla authorities read this?

Probably not. Most have been dead for 1400, 1500 years now.

On a less obnoxious note, I wonder if there are many members on this list
who are located in Korea AND Macintosh users. I ask because Apple Computer
Korea (which has finally wrested control of their product from Elex
Computer) has not yet set up any user groups, at least not for
English-speaking users. If there is enough interest (I know a few at Yonsei
University) I would like to set one up on my own. I guess users of Hangul
Mac OS in other countries would be welcome, as well, but we Mac users *in*
Korea face special problems with lack of access to affordable software and
hardware.

Now, lest this seem totally irrelevant to this list, I submit it does relate
to such issues as easy computer Romanization using the McCune-Reischauer
system, etc.

By the way, is there any concerted international academic effort going on to
not just resist using the "new" system but to actually try to *stop* the
Korean government from imposing this poorly-thought out system? Personally,
I think there's some contract for new road signs (replacing ALL of the tens
of thousands of road signs in English which are in McCune-Reischauer format
will run into the tens of billions of won) that is being given to someone,
and that's why they're ramrodding this through with little publicity and
debate before the fact.

K U S H I B O