[KS] Re: Road signs and more than we want to know

John Woo john_w_woo at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 18 19:15:43 EDT 2000

>I've known about the circumflexes for years (as long as I've been using
>Macs, going back to the 1980s, the circumflexes have been there), and use
>them frequently as
>suitable stand-ins for the breve. But really, given that explanations of
>English prounciation itself utilizes breves here and there, one would think
>that someone up in Washington State would have gotten around to
>incorporating it into new and improved versions of their word processor.
>While the folks down in Cupertino, California, haven't done much better,
>there are Mac-based fonts (called "Time*" and "Courie*" that allow the user
>to print perfect breves over Os and Us. These are available on several web
>sites dealing with Korean word processing for Macs.

It's not the fonts that allow this, but the word processor(s). The breve is
part of the standard set. It is just a question of telling the
printer/screen to print it above the preceding character.
BTW, it is not very difficult to produce modified versions of standard fonts
that include breved vowels. Some already did this. Whether with TrueType or
PS fonts, display and printout are perfect.
Moreover, Hangul, the famous Korean word-processor, the essence of Korean
nationalism and Computers, allows the input (and display/printout, of
course!) of 'breved' vowels. Works both on PCs and Macs.

Human imagination has no limit... Both Hangul kwa Computer and the NAKL
proved it.
J.W. Woo