[KS] Re: Maehyang-ri

Yong-ho Choe choeyh at hawaii.edu
Thu Jul 20 18:15:15 EDT 2000

I am very much bothered by this statement: "Granted, Koreans suffered invasion after invasion by foreigners for centuries."

That Korea had been a helpless victim of constant foreign invasions is an unfortunate myth that has absolutely no historical basis.  Examine the Korean history and try to see how many foreign invasions Korea had suffered, and compare that with those experienced by other countries, such as China.  Few countries on the Eurasian continent had enjoyed as much peace as Korea up until the the latter half of the 19th century.  Only after the late 19th century did Korea become a target of contending powers for hegemonic control.  The unfortunte myth--Korea being a victime of foreign invasions--must have started by the Westerners at this time, but it is not founded on historical facts.  We, starting with those on this list, should get rid of this myth once and for all from this time on.