[KS] Re: Maehyang-ri

Michael Choi michael_choi15 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 20 04:01:18 EDT 2000

Although it is the publisher's perogative to select which letters are
printed in their newspapers, I believe that John's question is very valid.
Koreans dislike foreigners to a harmful degree. They need to understand that
not all foreigners desire to subjugate them. Granted, Koreans suffered
invasion after invasion by foreigners for centuries. Still, the foreigners
present in Korea are human, with good or bad intentions. Koreans should also
consider the individual before dimissing their foreign guests.

Americans, especially those in the public sector (i.e., State Department,
Armed Forces, etc.) need to be more mindful of their hosts. If they desire
respect to be accorded to them, then they ought to show respect as well.
That is, they should treat all nations equally despite their level of
development. Unfortunately, the US government still maintains its Cold War
mentality that it still knows best and the whole world "be damned." (The NMD
program is a good example.) That's no way to show leadership and no way to
receive reciprocity by your global neighbors.

Sincerely,
Michael Choi