[KS] Re: new Romanization goes public

Rupert Atkinson rupert at www.cuk.ac.kr
Tue Jul 4 20:19:10 EDT 2000

I have been following the new Korean romanization process with interest.
  I would certainly not have like to have been on committee debating
such but I think the outcome is reasonable.  The Koreans have probably
been motivated by the success of the new Chinese system of romanization
and the final result, from the small parts I have seen in today's paper
- it seems pretty much the way many people romanize Korean already (my
Korean students) - given that Koreans don't really bother to learn the
MR system.  Most foreigners I know have never bothered to learn the MR
system either.  I guess a visitor to China would have to learn the
basics of their system in order to get around, and so it will be in
Korea.  Heck, if they visit the U.K., they'd have to learn English to
read the English signs ...
>From what I have seen so far - I think it is O.K.

Rupert Atkinson