[KS] Re: Korean Pop Music

Charles Armstrong cra10 at columbia.edu
Sat Jul 15 06:03:01 EDT 2000

To take this discussion on a slightly different tangent, another quite
popular form of music among the older generations in Korea is the so-called
"lyric song", which seems to be heavily influenced by European light opera,
Victorian popular music, and Protestant hymns. James West once speculated
that this genre grew directly out of missionary work at the turn of the
century, but another thread may be the encouragement of and reception to
European classical music in Korea during the colonial period. The Japanese
militarists hated jazz, and clamped down on American popular culture
generally after the Pacific War broke out, but European "high culture" was
OK. An Ikt'ae, composer of the Korean National Anthem (previously sung to
the tune of "Auld Lang Syne," as we all know), for example, studied under
Richard Strauss in Austria in the 1930s. The origins of Koreans' fondness
for, and excellence in, European classical music - at least among a certain
class - seems to me very much linked to this colonial history (though I'm no
expert in this). After liberation, the US Military Government's Department
of Education had a "music advisor" named Ely Haimowitz, a Julliard-trained
pianist, who was struck by the wealth of musical talent he found here and
helped bring some of the first Korean students to Julliard. He was also very
active in recording and arranging performances of Korean folk music, and
left behind a wealth of papers on his activities (he's still alive, by the
way). Of course the US army was also a very important channel for
introducing American popular music to Korea in the post-war years,
particularly the "8th Army Show", where pop singers like Patty Kim started
out.

My point is that, rather than dividing modern culture in Korea into the
"authentic" and the "foreign", what's truly fascinating is to see the very
hybridity of fields like music, where various European, Japanese, American
and "indigenous" forms have intermingled so promiscuously. Maybe the latest
"Japanese invasion" will bring some creative energy to the Korean pop seen,
although frankly, I don't see much of value in either Korean or Japanese
popular music these days - or American, for that matter.

                                Charles Armstrong