[KS] Re: Digest of korean-studies - volume 1 #575

Kevin P. Parks Adv97 Kevin.P.Parks.Adv97 at Alum.Dartmouth.ORG
Thu Jul 27 02:27:10 EDT 2000

I must agree with Sunmee Chang. I am surprised that this is getting so much
attention, and while there is much that is macho here in Korea i don't think it
is exclusively a "dick thing". Furthermore, i find it hard to believe that an
anthropologist would really find that this issue pushed him or her to one's
limits of cultural relativism. I have never interviewed dogs and cows, but i bet
their perception of pain is about the same. As for Henny's's crabs, please,
those buggers have like 2 brain cells. Were not talking monkeys here.

All of this is to say that i see people eat out of garbage cans in Myong-dong
and folks sleeping in the streets here as well as blind people begging on the
subway. Funny how that isn't a hot topic, but our ability to continuously and
ridiculously anthropomorphize dogs and cats is. Again and again and again.

a steadfast cat lover, but also a lover of ajummas and ajushis and not confused
about which is on top of the food chain,

kevin

kevin at raven.dartmouth.edu