[KS] Road signs

David Prendergast koreanfieldwork at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 13 05:46:42 EDT 2000

>By the way, is there any concerted international academic effort going on
>not just resist using the "new" system but to actually try to *stop* the
>Korean government from imposing this poorly-thought out system? Personally,
>I think there's some contract for new road signs (replacing ALL of the tens
>of thousands of road signs in English which are in McCune-Reischauer format
>will run into the tens of billions of won) that is being given to someone,
>and that's why they're ramrodding this through with little publicity and
>debate before the fact.
>
>K U S H I B O

The road signs are already going up. Travelling into Chonju (Jeonju) today I
noticed that Kimje is now Gimje and Kunsan = Gunsan (an appropriate
correction on the latter perhaps in light of the air base there ;)

As for someone's earlier comment about Korea becoming "Gorea", all I can say
is that it sounds painful...

In jest,

David Prendergast.