[KS] Re: Road signs

kushibo jdh95 at hitel.net
Thu Jul 13 10:15:33 EDT 2000

David Prendergast wrote:
>kushibo wrote:
>>By the way, is there any concerted international academic effort going on
>>to not just resist using the "new" system but to actually try to *stop* the
>>Korean government from imposing this poorly-thought out system? Personally,
>>I think there's some contract for new road signs (replacing ALL of the tens
>>of thousands of road signs in English which are in McCune-Reischauer format
>>will run into the tens of billions of won) that is being given to someone,
>>and that's why they're ramrodding this through with little publicity and
>>debate before the fact.
>
> The road signs are already going up. Travelling into Chonju (Jeonju) today I
> noticed that Kimje is now Gimje and Kunsan = Gunsan (an appropriate
> correction on the latter perhaps in light of the air base there ;)

Are these *new* road signs or some of the few here and there (e.g., the
"Seocho" sign near Yangjae-dong) that have been around for a while. The
"new" system would read "JeonJu" and "GimJe" and "GunSan" as these would-be
re-Romanizers re-invent English spelling.

I can not emphasize enough how stupid stupid stupid this is.

K U S H I B O