[KS] Re: Indonesian Music in Korea

Richard C. Miller rcmiller at students.wisc.edu
Mon Jul 31 03:58:05 EDT 2000

So Seonsaengnim,

Ah, yes, I know Andrew Timar...via email anyway. He is correct, "barang
baru" does mean "new thing" in Indonesian (singular or plural is not
necessarily marked in the Indonesian language). When I suggested "bonang
barung," I was assuming that something had gotten garbled on the card.
Perhaps I assumed too much. However, "new thing" doesn't make much sense as
the name of an instrument. Do you know how the information on the card was
obtained? If through an interpreter, I can easily imagine a confusion of
question and answer leading to "new thing" being taken as the name of the
instrument, when it was meant as a statement of age or origin.

Your best option is to ask Andy Sutton to look at it when he is there. He
has some knowledge of Korean as well, so he may be able puzzle things out
better than I can via email.

Thank you for continuing to search out gamelans in Korea. I look forward to
hearing about the set at Seoul National.

Richard Miller
--Richard C. Miller
--UW School of Music
--Manado, Indonesia