[KS] To Armstrong

Ok, Gwang g.ok at strath.ac.uk
Thu Jul 20 12:21:36 EDT 2000

Armstrong,

A casual talk for your comment on dog eating.

I have a childhood experience, on a summer day, that I vomited after relising dog meat.  Once I have grwon up, I defined myself that is our tradition as you mentioned the world cultural inheritances.  Yes it is a oriental traditional practice not only in Korea, but also in South China.  Now, the way of cook, beating dog for better taste, is right - I mean the taste is actually better, however, it needs to be changed in accordance with modern civilisation.  When Korea was uncivilised in cooking culture, they did it.  But not now, I think.

>        I see nothing wrong with eating dogs....having done it a couple of
> times (but not liking the taste) I see no difference in Koreans raising dogs
> to eat and Americans raising cows for the same purpose.  The only thing that
> I object to is the way they kill them, often beating them to death to make
> the meat more tender and supposedly it has a better taste when it has been
> beat.

They love dogs as faithful animal.  They have given foods to dogs with same as people and dogs always has been creating many stories in Korea.  O'su, Jindo - original place where the Korean smartest dogs were born - maybe famous places.

Gwang.