[KS] Re: Ten Thousand Sorrows

Walter K. Lew Lew at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU
Tue Jun 20 15:43:52 EDT 2000

For a review that makes an effort to be fair to the book (extensive plot
summary, etc.), then unleashes considerable scorn (e. g. "I have read it so
that you won't have to."), see:

<http://www.salon.com/books/review/2000/05/17/kim/index.html>.

The reviewer, Brigitte Frase, is an editor at Milkweed Editions, a literary
press that generally puts out worthwhile books (e. g. Marilyn Chin's
poetry).  (I thank Heinz Insu Fenkl for informing me of the site.)

/Walter

>I've just been skimming through the latest issue of the Korean Quarterly
>(Summer 2000, Minnesota) and there are two book reviews written by Korean
>American adoptees of Elizabeth Kim's book. Thought some of the readers of
>this listserv might be interested to read:
>
>"While the book is beautifully written, there is an uneasy sense that the
>author has only probed superficially into the issues of Korean heritage and
>culture. There is a disturbing lack of authenticity to some of the
>passages. I do not claim to be an expert on Korea, but I have been there
>more than 30 times and I know many experts on Korea. All of them have
>confirmed what I was certain was true: the term 'honor killing' does not
>apply to Korean culture. Sadly, it certainly is associated with other parts
>of the world, but not Korea. I'm concerned that a typical reader will not
>possess more than a casual knowledge and understanding of Korean culture,
>and will assume this to be true. To present 'honor killing' as typical of
>Korean culture is deeply disturbing and disrespectful of the truth about
>Korean life and society." -- Susan Soon Keum Cox, Korean Quarterly Summer
>2000
>
>Alina Oh
>Program Associate
>The Korea Society