[KS] Re: Hong Kiltong, etc.

Gari Keith Ledyard gkl1 at columbia.edu
Mon Mar 20 10:22:10 EST 2000

Dear John Frankl et al.,
	The use in an early work of Korean literature of the self-humbling
first-person pronoun pok (Yale system here and following), which is
familiar in Japanese as boku, cannot be taken as evidence that the author
was suggesting that the person using this pronoun was Japanese or living
in a Japanese community.  The word had this meaning in classical Chinese
already in Han times.  Moreover I have seen it used as a first-person
pronoun in letters written in the Korean language in 1766 and 1831
(Ulpyeng yenhayngnok).  My supposition is that it would not be hard to
find it in many writings in Hanmun written by Koreans, especially in
epistolary contexts.  It would be entirely understandable for islanders
addressing the great hero Hong Kiltong to refer to themselves in this way.
	I would disagree with Sam Martin over "slave" as a gloss or tag
for pok, which appears in his dictionary as well as in his recent
posting.  A quick check in standard dictionaries for classical Chinese
suggests that it is not justified.  Rather they indicate a range of
meanings closer to servant, groom or carriage driver, follower, etc.  The
word "slave" does not appear anywhere in Morohashi's ten definitions.
The early 20th century dictionary Cihai cites the phrase nupu (K. nopok,
J. doboku), "slave + servant" in a context that suggests two members of a
very low status group, but that is as close as it gets.  But Kim Minswu's
dictionary also cites this phrase, which might be Sam's source.
	It seems astonishing to me that "boku" does not appear in Japanese
until Meiji times.  I'd be willing to take a wager on its use in earlier
Japanese epistolary writings in both regular Japanese and kanbun Japanese.

Gari Ledyard

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, John Frankl wrote (among many other very interesting
things):