[KS] Fulbright Forum March 21

Horace H. Underwood hhu at fulbright.or.kr
Tue Mar 7 03:39:48 EST 2000

FULBRIGHT FORUM!!

Fulbright in Seoul (the Korean American Educational Commission) is pleased
to invite you to attend the Fulbright Forum for March, which will be held on
Tuesday, March 21, 2000, at 6:30 p.m. at the Commission offices.  This is
the first Forum to be held in our new offices, and we are looking forward to
a good turnout.

This month's forum presentation will be:

"Reorientations: Culture, Propaganda, and the Cold War in Korea, 1945-1950"

The presenter will be Dr. Charles Armstrong, Assistant Professor of History
at the East Asian Institute of Columbia University and Fulbright Senior
Research Grantee at the Institute of Modern Korean Studies, Yonsei
University, for the 2000 Korean academic year.  Dr. Armstrong was a graduate
student Fulbright grantee in Korea in 1991-1992, and completed his Ph.D. in
Korean history from the University of Chicago.

As the emerging US-Soviet Cold War played itself out in the politics of
divided Korea in the late 1940s, each side began a concerted propaganda
campaign directed against the other. Numerous media, especially film, became
instruments in an increasingly polarized political struggle between the US
and USSR occupation governments, between the two nascent Korean states, and
between various groups of Koreans. With the outbreak of the Korean War in
June 1950, each side was briefly able to impose its own political, economic,
cultural and educational system on the other, culminating in a detailed US
policy for a full- scale post-communist "reorientation" of North Korean
society in the fall of 1950.  The propaganda war, like the Korean war
itself, then became a stalemate.

We welcome to the Forum all Fulbrighters, senior lecturers and junior
researchers, as well as Board members, Fulbright alumni, Peace Corps
alumni, Korean studies scholars, foreign graduate students, and other
friends of Korea and members of the Fulbright family.

The presentation will be followed by a reception (good hors-d'oeuvres!).
We hope many friends will come to enjoy the lecture, the discussion, the
food, and the liquid refreshment.

Place: Fulbright Building, first floor, in the U.S. Education Center.  Take
the Purple #5 subway line to the Kongdok stop, come out exit #1.  Walk west
toward Sogang University about 200 yards to the Hyopdong Yakguk; turn left
through the railroad tunnel to the Fulbright Building.  Or, check our
website, www.fulbright.or.kr   for maps in English and Korean and taxi
directions.

Date: Tuesday, March 21, 2000

Time: 6:30 p.m.

See you on the 21st!

(RSVP and directions: Miss Park, 3275-4000)

Horace H. Underwood, Executive Director
Korean-American Educational Commission (Fulbright)
Seoul, Korea
hhu at fulbright.or.kr