[KS] Re: KSR 2000-01:_Korea: A Historical and Cultural Dictionary_, by Keith Pratt and Richard Rutt

Keith Pratt Keith.Pratt at durham.ac.uk
Tue Mar 28 13:46:11 EST 2000

Richard Rutt and I would like to thank Dr Hart for his very fair and
splendidly entertaining review of our Dictionary. We have no hesitation in
pleading guilty to his charge of the over-simplistic nature of some of our
entries, but as we point out in the Introduction, a combination of (a) our
personal interests and (b) the publisher's page limit (which we exceeded
anyway by a substantial amount) meant that we omitted or curtailed many
items which deserved better. The same goes for the treatment of 20th
century literature referred to Brother Anthony (or 20th century art, come
to that), on which - incidentally - Richard is replying to him directly.
We do , however, plead not guilty on Red Pepper, which can be found under
P for Pepper on page 349.
Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, I fully agree with Dr Hart's view of
the publisher's rrp for the hardback edition, but if he would like to
consult the catalogue of a very well known internet bookseller, he will
find that it can be bought with a hefty 56 per cent discount, thus
comfortably undercutting the publisher's authors' discount price and
making it much more affordable!
Keith Pratt